Blessed is he who always has before his eyes that "the earth is the Lord's and the fulness thereof" (Ps. 23:1), and keeps in mind that God is powerful to arrange for His servants as is pleasing to Him.
The community of St. George began celebrating the Divine Liturgy in 1892, incorporated under St. Raphael of Brooklyn in 1905, and its first altar was consecrated by him in 1911. In 2006, the parish was elevated to the status of cathedral, the primary see of the Diocese of Charleston, Oakland and the Mid-Atlantic.
St. George Cathedral P.O. Box 2044 Charleston, WV 25327 Phone: 304-346-0106 Fax: 304-346-0146
The St. George Foundation is established to provide a perpetual funding source to enable St. George Orthodox Cathedral to fulfill its goals for Christian Outreach Programs related to religion, charity, youth, children, the elderly, and education as well as capital construction projects to St. George Orthodox Church or its Parish House.
The St. George Foundation recently transferred to the St. George Cathedral a check in the amount of $18,210. This represented 80% of all dividends and interest that was generated from the fund investment during 2008. These funds were earmarked to support St. George Cathedral's Youth Programs, such as scholarships to the Antiochian Village, Athletic Programs, and Church School needs.
Since the St. George Foundation's inception in 2000, the fund has contributed $88,698 to St. George Cathedral. Furthermore, an additional $11,782 has been transferred from "Donor Advised" fuunds to help supplement the needs of other programs, such as St. George Cathedral Choir.
The Foundation has been benefitted this past year by being remembered through the legacies of three of our departed parishioners. May their memory be eternal.